Monday, August 29, 2011

All cracked up... A fun DIY project:)

         I have waited for well over a year to refinish our dining room table. I love this table so much! The solid oak, the claw feet, leaf and room for eight....it is just a good piece of furniture to own! We did some trade work for this table so upon arriving in our home it was gently used. The varnish on the tabletop was wearing   off and whenever something warm was set on it it would stick! Yum!
We started out by sanding all of the remaining finish from the top.
Patch test!
To create a unique look we taped off the lip of the table.
   Once we sanded, wiped the top down good and taped...Yikes! The fun began! Did you know that a bottle of woodworking glue was capable of creating "the crackle effect"? Either did we?! Apprehension was our friend for several hours!
Once the glue had dried...Quick tip! Dilute the glue down a bit with water! Not too much, but it will definitely makes the glue more workable. Here is where I wanted to run and hide!I made my husband apply the paint!

Soooo? What do you think? I LOVE IT!! After a few coats of polyurethane and several light sandings....I can't stop admiring!

                                                                 Happy crackling!






1 comment:

  1. I think you 2 did an amazing job!! The table looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...