Tuesday, December 8, 2015

DIY Money Tree! For those hard to shop for! A post from the archives!


We all have a few of them on our lists!


   You know! Those hard to shop for friends and family! For me it is a handful of teen and pre teens! My daughter and I shopped aimlessly with little luck! I finally surmised that we could just get them a gift card or money.... Money is the ultimate gift after all. Your recipient is free to do as he or she pleases, but it has always felt a little impersonal to me! I give you the Christmas money tree!




Start with two pieces of felt. Trace a tree pattern, cut and either sew or glue them together with hot glue. Leave about a half inch border and a hole for stuffing the tree at the bottom! Next stuff your tree! Do not be afraid to get into the corners.




I used a small dowel cut into equal pieces for the trunk! To create the candy cane striping, paint first your base color. Then when dry apply painters tape in a spiral around the dowel and paint your secondary color! Once you remove the tape touch up and even out where necessary! These blocks that I used for the base were only .30 at Hobby Lobby! I painted a primary color then topped it with ivory and sanded the edges for that unique look! Once your base is completed use a cute piece of scrapbook paper to cover the top!



So Cute, Easy and Affordable!






Assemble by closing the opening to the tree around the dowel! Use a small amount of hot glue to attach the trunk to the base! Decorate!

Use ornaments that reflect the personality of the intended recipient!


 I found tiny clothespins at Wal Mart. Use them to attach money or gift cards! Have fun! 

          What are you working on?

















7 comments:

  1. I love it! I have a few stragglers left on my christmas list that I have no idea what to get for them, so this will be perfect. Thanks for the tutorial!

    Reese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! So glad you stopped by! Thanks Reese! Did you sign up with Mom Central yet?

      Delete
  2. So cute. Newest follower from the weekend blog hop, would love if you could come by and follow back?
    Erica
    www.ericastartwalking.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping! Now following back! Good luck on your hunting trip!

      Delete
  3. sweet thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop.xo P.S. loving thy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts.

    online florist

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...