Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Make a mercury glass mirror out of a vintage window!


    You know! My favorite DIY materials! Spray paint, Krylon looking glass spray and a random vintage item! I have had a set of old windows sitting in our shed begging me to do something, anything with them!


    I started by cleaning it off really good! Remember, you are more than likely working with lead paint and if you have little ones like I do clean up is uber important! I then sprayed the back of my window with looking glass spray to create a mirror! Looking glass spray will scratch easily so apply it to the surface least likely to be handled.                                                                                                                                                
      I did not tape off the back because I knew I would later sand off any over spray. When  preparing for the next step I did however tape off and cover the front.                                                               

                                                      
    In the next step I covered the length of my window frame with lace. Then with a soft Ivory spray I used the lacy pattern as a stencil. It is such a soft and intimate touch.                                                                                                                                 
                                                                                                                                    
    Curious I also rounded up the first few items I could grab and tried this technique on as well! I found this bottle at the DI for only $2.00! Definitely like the lace stencil!                                                                

    Curiosity satisfied I moved on to finish my mirror! I found this great handle that happened to be 50% off at Hobby Lobby! Then instead of hanging it flat, I wanted to be able to hang my mirror on an angle and adjust it as I saw fit. My sweet husband applied two hinges, top and bottom to the frame and wall and there ya have it! An awesome adjustable mirror!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...